However, the spinning remained constant. I spun happily and contentedly through 2012, with hardly a day without the wheel whirring and fiber slipping through my fingers. Though I didn't set any specific goals or intentions for 2012, looking back, I think the theme for last year should be "Production" - because I spun more in the past twelve months than the rest of my spinning life combined!
From a total of nearly 7 pounds of fiber, I spun 15,118 yards of singles - over 8 1/2 miles of yarn! Though much of this yarn has been knit up already, here's a sampling of what's left and waiting to be transformed into something lovely. (A full account of last year's spinning, with lots of details, can be found on my Yarns of 2012 page.)
|Some of last year's yarn!|
|'Rhinebeck' cardigan by Lisa Lloyd, knit in Valley Yarns' Northampton.|
|Prize-winning bamboo and merino/silk handspun|
For 2013, following in the spirit of some of my very favorite blogs, I'm going to set some specific fiber-related intentions for myself and do my very best to accomplish them all this year. I've thought long and hard about my list, and can't wait to get started!
1. Process and spin more raw fleece. I had an awesome time spinning up lots of colorful handpainted fiber last year, but would love to sink my teeth into my collection of fleeces, maybe even dyeing the fleece before spinning. As of this writing, I'm plotting out something wonderful to do with a gorgeous Border Leicester fleece from my stash - stay tuned for more!
2. Learn different spinning techniques. I'm comfortable with the short forward draw and the long-draw, but still haven't tried spinning from the fold, spinning flicked locks, or spinning directly from wool combs. It's going to be exciting to try these methods, and more!
3. Spin some new-to-me fibers. I'm planning on working with cashmere, mohair, and silk mawatas this year, and have a feeling I might get even more adventurous as time goes on.
4. Spin for a sweater. Now that I've gotten over my fear of knitting sweaters, it's time to take it to the next level and spin for one! I have a sneaking suspicion that this goal is going to tie in with Spinning Goal #1... :)
1. Knit more garments. Because there's really nothing like a handknit sweater, as I happily discovered last year!
2. Knit more with my handspun. I have so much of it, so instead of buying more yarn, I'm going to get creative and see what happens. :)
*Other Fiber-Related Goals*
1. Explore weaving. I had so much fun weaving my first scarf last year, and am really looking forward to learning more about weaving, especially weaving plaids and tartans, which have totally enchanted me recently. There may even be a new loom in my future!
2. Play with felting. Because it feels a little scary and reckless, and is therefore deeply mysterious. :) I also totally love how felted objects look.
3. Experiment with dyeing, particularly natural dyes. This awesome book should help me out with that!
I'm so excited to see what's in store for 2013, and hope you'll join me for a year filled with lots of creativity and fibery goodness! As always, thanks so much for reading! I absolutely love being able to share my fibery ramblings with you.
Oh, and Sylvia says hello! :)
Happy New Year, everyone, and talk to you again very soon!