Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Fabulous Falkland!

For today's post, I have some new handspun to share!

I've been a member of Spunky Eclectic's fiber club for a few months now, and while I don't always find Amy's colorways totally to my liking, I've been absolutely thrilled with the quality of the base fiber she uses for her dyeing. Every bump that I've spun up has been a total joy, and the unusual (for me) colorways have gently nudged me out of my color comfort zone.

But imagine my delight when December's club selection was not only a fiber that I love to spin, but also a colorway that made my heart sing!

Here's the lovely aforementioned fiber for your viewing pleasure: Falkland wool top, in the colorway "Aurora Borealis". (Image borrowed from the Spunky Eclectic website: as an aside, the fiber in this photo had quite a bit more yellow in it than mine did.)


I split my bump into two equal lengths, then spun it worsted with a short forward draw. The fiber was so wonderfully lofty and soft, it didn't need any predrafting at all, and practically spun itself! In less than two hours, the singles were spun, the yarn was plied, and the skein was relaxing in a warm Eucalan bath in the sink.

Here's the finished skein: 192 yards of DK-weight 2-ply yarn. I love how subtle the color variations look in the finished yarn!



And because I had a traveling scarf project waiting for the perfect yarn - and this was definitely it! :) - I cast on immediately and knit my section of the scarf in waffle stitch. While I loved it in the skein, I think it's even prettier knit up: the subtle waves of color are even more lovely in person. I'm so happy with how this yarn turned out!


Though I'm still happily spinning away on the beautiful alpaca/silk that I mentioned a few days ago, other fiber in the stash has been calling out to me. The question is, should the next fiber I spin up be the alpaca/Merino/silk from Into the Whirled...


... or the Cotswold from Spunky Eclectic?


Choices, choices!! :)

As always, thanks so much for reading, and for all the lovely comments! Reading them always brightens up my day. :) Have a great evening, and talk to you again very soon!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm amazed at how quickly that went from fiber to knitwear! The colors did not turn out the way I expected them to though, funny how it can surprise you like that! Also, you know that I'm always going to have to come down on the side of Into the Whorled every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous yarn! And so fast! Also, please tell us more about this traveling scarf. And I vote Cotswold b/c I'd like to hear more about that fiber. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that yarn is so beautiful, it spun up so fast and knitted up so nice. I think I like the first choice for your next one, because I love the orange!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That yarn is just too gorgeous, it seriously looks so squishy and wonderful!!! I vote the into the whirlwind one! I just love those colors and can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. Gosh. That is the most beautiful yarn I've ever seen---seriously. I would NEVER have thought it'd spin up like that, no WAY! How gratifying---this yarn may have just changed my life.

    ReplyDelete