Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Fresh Start

Fiber friends, it positively baffles me that I've somehow managed to fall off the blogosphere for five months. Five months! How can it even be possible? I love the Internet. I love spinning. And I love so many of you, whom I've had the great pleasure of getting to know since I started blogging just over a year and a half ago.

The truth is, the past few months presented some unique and difficult challenges to me, including physical illness, depression, deep feelings of self-doubt and confusion regarding my direction in life, and, in general, just an all-around feeling of melancholy and malaise. My health suffered. I lost interest in my once-beloved fiber-related pursuits, much to my alarm. A dear and beloved friend passed away suddenly, leaving my co-workers and me devastated and shocked. I felt myself pulling away from family and loved ones as I retreated from the loud and busy world, drawing inward and licking my wounds as I struggled to make sense of what was happening both to me, and around me.

It's taken many weeks to muster up the courage to try to fit myself back into my old life, the life filled with early-morning spinning, long conversations with friends, and that wonderful end-of-the-day sensation that I made a positive difference in someone's life. But I finally feel ready for a fresh start after the past months of tears and despair... which is why I'm here right now. I've missed blogging - I've missed you! - and I'm ready to roll up my sleeves, dig into some wool, and share tales from my fibery adventures.

Oh, and the stash is starting to get a bit out of hand, too. Time to remedy that!

Le Stash. Beautiful and inspiring, but quickly approaching the 'overwhelming' point.

And now, without further ado, here's a quick recap of what's been happening in my neck of the woods, as well as some teasers of what's to come in the very near future!

The spinning wheel has been a bit idle lately [see stash photo above for evidence of this: sadly, this particular stash doesn't even include the fleece closet!], but I did manage to spin up a few skeins. All of these were great fun to spin, and I'll get into them in more detail in a future post!

Three new skeins: Cotswold, Merino/alpaca, and alpaca/silk.

Currently, I have four ounces of 80/20 Merino/silk singles resting on the bobbin, ready to be chain-plied...

Into the Whirled Merino/silk: "Take it to the Bridge"

... and I just started spinning some silky, shiny Romney, which I'm planning on spinning into a gently twisted, lofty 2-ply.

Spunky Eclectic Romney: "Lightning Strike"
Shiny singles!

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be flying through this fiber, not only because of the Looming Stash Predicament, but also because of this.

Into the Whirled's Merino/silk: "End of Innocence"

*swoons * I have plans for you, 50/50 Merino/silk! :)

In non-spinning news, summer is in full swing here in NY, and the cabbage white butterflies are fluttering all over the place. They're especially fond of these lovely purple flowers that grow near my apartment building. Note to self: butterflies are surprisingly skittish in front of the camera!

I love these butterflies!
... even though they're a bit camera-shy. :)

Oh, and in case you were wondering, the feline trio is doing just fine. :) Sylvia's sitting on the back of the chair behind me as I type this, purring away. And Vincent is still his regal, all-knowing self. Is it just me, or is he somehow getting even fluffier??

Vincent, King of Cats.

I have a few fun things planned for the blog in the coming weeks, including (but not limited to):
  • Knitting Tales! Yep, I still knit! The needles have been bare lately, but they're clicking away again, and I have some fun new projects to chat about.
  • Angora, Three Ways! Like a breed study, but fluffier. I've never spun angora before, so I'll definitely be learning something new as I share it with you.
  • A New Giveaway! Because it's been way too long, and it's ridiculously fun to do. :)
Until then, as always, thank you so, so much for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed your stay! I'm so glad to be back, and I can't wait to hear what you've been up to. (I definitely have some blogs to catch up on!) Take care, friends, and talk to you again very soon! :)

9 comments:

  1. So, so glad you're posting again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about you and your blog the other day, wondering if you were ok. I am so glad you are. I understand time off, I know that someday I will disappear off the blogosphere as well. I see blogging as a temporary thing - eventually we all will give it up for good. Blogs come and go.
    Anyways, I am glad you are doing well now and that you took the time you needed to think things through. I am sorry you had some issues along the way :( I do love the yarn you spun recently though, especially that blue/yellow one. I want to just give it a huge squish. And that 50/50 merino/silk looks like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that you are back.

    And I'm so sorry for what you've been through, especially the depression. Big hug! I can promise you that it will get better, little by little, every day. It's a good sign that you could start doing what you love again!!!

    I've thought of you often and I've often wondered how you are and if everything is well.

    WELCOME BACK! :)

    Love,
    Julia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking about you, and I was happy to see your update in my inbox! I'm just learning to spin on a drop spindle and I love how you share your fiber journey.

    I'm sorry for the difficult time you have been through. I am praying for your healing and wholeness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wondering about you as well! I'm sorry to hear that you've been going through hard times but am glad that it sounds like you are slowly piecing things back together. Let your wheel make you happy and seek help if/when it is needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! You're back! I've missed seeing and hearing all about your fibery adventures and most importantly I've missed your kitties. :-) Sometimes life throws us a curve ball and we just have to take the time off to heal but I'm so glad you've come through your ruff patch and are getting back into the spin of things. :-) Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara! Hello! Don't worry, I've disappeared too, sometimes it just has to happen, life gets crazy. But you have obviously discovered the magic antidepressant properties of spinning soft, fluffy fiber (perhaps it is my calling in life to scientifically prove that). Look at all that beautiful fiber you have to work with there! Hang in there Sara, I'm hoping that by the time I'm finally leaving this comment, everything is looking much better. I look forward to hearing more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I love your craft, is beauty, I love a colors, I follow your blog, hugs from Brazil.
    Visit my blog - Tita Carré - free patterns crochet

    ReplyDelete